Saturday, September 10, 2016

Fun With Ads

I've got a couple early Captain Futures lying around from before I was doing plot synopses but I believe right now I'll just goof off with the ads rather than bother with any detailed articles.


Captain Future, Spring 1940, Calling Captain Future. Cover has Curt having a First Time Tentacles moment with a star man while shooting his proton pistol at another star man. He and Joan accidentally woke these things up from suspended animation where they'd been for maybe hundreds of years while their ship was stuck in the Sargasso Sea of Space with piles of other wreckage. He'll meet these star men one more time in Star Trail to Glory when he gets stuck in the Sargasso Sea again.

Edit: I literally just now noticed the star men were stark raving nekkid.


I'm a little disappointed in the back cover. There really should be a crusty life-sized foot or a huge diagram on how trusses work instead of an ad for Shakespeare's plays. This was only the second issue of Captain Future magazine so I guess they hadn't gotten the swing of things yet.


As though feeling my disappointment they do manage a cringe-worthy Ex-Lax ad. The younger guy is totally bragging that Ex-Lax isn't anywhere near powerful enough for his big, manly bowels. "I need a laxative with a wallop," he tells Jim with pride. Later, he thrills the office with his toilet-clogging abilities.


To make things more fun, here's an exciting Eveready battery ad. Besides this sinister baby-eating lake, others I've seen have had car accidents in the dark, guys lost in the deep woods and Nazi spies who need to signal planes from a mountain top.

I might have made one of those up.


Captain Future, Fall 1940, The Triumph of Captain Future. This story has a bad guy called the Lifelord who sells an overpriced elixir that brings youth so long as you keep taking the stuff, and some other things happen that I can't be bothered to look up. We're just here for the ads so move along.


Jackpot! A full page false teeth by mail ad! It's also almost the same ad found in Quest Beyond the Stars but in a disturbing duotone. This ad was what decided me on getting this particular magazine.


To further confuse the issue of just who the audience was for a magazine that is usually described as juvenile, here's some old guy trying to convince other old guys to sign up to push some sort of uber-special veeblefetzer without telling what it is or how you're supposed to sell it. He was so vague about it I was almost convinced it was a Rosicrucians ad.

Next up: That hateful Captain Future, The Solar Invasion, which sucked so hard I'm having trouble even getting to where I can make fun of it. I'm pretty certain the story gave me mild brain damage and the sheer awfulness of the illustrations made me weep for humanity. The back cover has a goddamn battery ad with some lame guy getting lost in the woods in the most boring way possible and I'm not holding out hope for an amusing laxative ad inside.

2 comments: