Sunday, March 20, 2016

Grr.

I just lost a chunk of work because one of my laptops suddenly crapped out on me. You know, you type up that perfect turn of phrase, the wittiest line of your sad, sad writing career, then the screen goes black and all the little lights go dead and you say words sailors haven't even heard of. I'll be kicking myself for the rest of the day to try and rewrite those two lost paragraphs I've imagined were much better than they probably were in reality. 

Two stinking paragraphs.  TWO.

So I put away the shiny new-ish Windows piece of poopy and dusted off the elderly IBM loaded with Linux, which I should've been using anyway because there's something just not right about the newer one's keyboard. Like, it sounds cheap and the L key never seems to work for some reason when I type fast and the keys are too flat and oh my god I can't stand it. 

Of course my fancy graphics programs are on the poopy new one so I still have to use it.  Fuck a duck sideways.

Couple hours later... Christ on a bike. It's dead as some doo-doos, most likely due to a power supply issue rather than a deceased hard drive because none of the little lights are on.  I've replaced half a dozen hard drives and things with dead hard drives usually boot up even if they only click and whirr at me.  I at least was able to backup everything before it died for good.

So, yay for me having to use an old version of LibreOffice with no spellcheck or thesaurus which were both on there the last time I used this elderly laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment